It’s only been three weeks, and already this NFL season has been like no other, with many unsuspecting teams proving that they can hang with some of the best teams in the league. The playoff picture hasn’t truly started to take shape yet, which is great news for NFL fans come the later part of the season.
Here are my Power Rankings going into Week 4 of the 2017 NFL Season:
1. Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs have been a slight shock this season due to the all-around improvement on their team. Alex Smith, Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, and the whole defense have stepped up to have the team at a perfect 3-0. The defense was able to recover from losing captain Eric Berry, which proves that they can hang through everything, no matter what the injury is. Come January, it’ll be interesting to see this team, how they are playing, and how their young stars handle the postseason.
2. New England Patriots: The Patriots are back after the humiliating Week 1 loss to the Chiefs, and have showed they haven’t lost a step. Despite injuries all over this team, Brady has rallied the troops to overcome their lackluster defense being pounded by offenses.
With Dont’a Hightower returning this week and Patrick Chung and Eric Rowe being at full health soon, this defense will be back in no time. It seems like every 2 to 3 years, the Patriots need a butt-kicking from the Chiefs to reignite that spark.
3. Atlanta Falcons: The Falcons are doing what everyone thought they would do, dominate and run through the competition. With Julio Jones, Muhammed Sanu, Tevin Coleman, and Devonta Freeman; it should be no surprise to anybody how electric this offense is.
The most impressive part is how well the defense has recovered from the Super Bowl. Their defense is playing more ferociously than ever, and even without Vic Beasley, they’re holding up against top offenses in the league.
4. Green Bay Packers: Personally, I don’t think the Packers belong on this list, but the fact is, at the moment they are playing like a contending team. Aaron Rodgers is playing like a shell of himself at the moment, but even that shell is still good enough to keep the offense rolling and win football games. The Packers defense is also performing well enough to win games, but overall, this team has showed no improvement from last season, and I expect another Aaron Rodgers choke job this year in the playoffs.
5. Detroit Lions: This may shock a lot of people, but this team has it all. An elite QB, a great WR core, a great RB group, and a phenomenal defense. Matthew Stafford is playing as a top 5 QB in the league, and has led this team to the place they should’ve been seasons ago.
The Lions really should be 3-0 and in 4th on this list, but they came up just short in the final seconds against Atlanta this past Sunday. Their defense held up against one of the highest power offenses in the NFC, and proved how legit they are by picking off MVP Matt Ryan 3 times. I fully expect this team to participate in the NFC Championship in a rematch against the Falcons this year, and wouldn’t be that shocked if they made the Super Bowl.
Tweet us your thoughts @wtpsports