What Are These Called?

So last night, I ran a poll on Twitter about proper orange terminology. I asked what a single, uncut piece of an orange is called. You know, once the peel is off and the orange naturally splits into little pieces? Yeah, I wanted to know the correct name for those.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of the population has absolutely no idea what they’re talking about when it comes to fruit nomenclature. The options I gave were “slice”, “segment”, and “other”. The results were overwhelmingly disappointing.

88% of the people who responded to the poll answered with “slice”, while just 8% said “segment” and 4% said “other”. I was and still am in shock.

I’ve always called these little pieces segments. To call them otherwise is ridiculous in my mind. For something to be called a slice, it has to have been cut with a knife. Hence the word “slice”. I had people coming out of the woodwork to tell me how ridiculous it is that I say segment and that anything other than “slice” is certifiably insane.

I even had one of my friends tell me that the correct term is “petal”. Let me put this out there: petal is wrong. As a matter of fact, the only term other than “segment” that I won’t vehemently argue against is “wedge”. I am willing to accept “wedge”.

So now I turn to you, The People, to help curtail this blasphemy. Please support me in my quest to uncover the true name for one of these pieces. “Segment” is where my heart is, but I am open to hearing what others have to say on this matter. Thank you for your help.

UPDATE: Wikipedia agrees that “segment” is the correct term. Suck it.

Related image

Photos: Marketing Landknowyourmeme.com


Leave a Reply